What do you get when you mix eggplant, marinated sun dried tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, chick peas and cauliflower? Absolute deliciousness, that’s what!
Yesterday, I picked three eggplants from our garden along with an abundance of peppers. I wanted to use them in something summery and light. I had a cauliflower in the fridge along with sun dried tomatoes and chick peas in the pantry so, I concocted what I’m calling sun dried tomato roasted eggplant cauliflower rice. Whew!
The key to this recipe is roasting the eggplant and chick peas in the sun dried tomato marinate. Plus, the Italian seasoning really compliments the roasted eggplant by bringing the flavor to the forefront of this recipe.
- 3 Ichiban eggplants diced into cubes
- 1 hot banana pepper chopped (heat optional)
- 6 Shishito sweet peppers chopped (or 1.5 bell peppers if that’s what you have on hand)
- 1 onion diced
- 3-5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 head of cauliflower riced in the food processor
- 1 jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (8.5 ounce jar I suggest julienne so you don’t have to cut them)
- 1 can of chick peas
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flake (optional)
- Place the cubed eggplant in a large bowl and coat with the sun dried tomato marinate. Then place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Next, pour eggplant on to the parchment covered cookie sheet. Cook for 15 minutes on 425. Then add the chick peas to the mix along with some more olive oil marinate. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Chop the peppers, dice the onions and mince the garlic. Saute the peppers and onions in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes) add the garlic and saute for another two minutes. Set this mixture aside.
- Then, rice the head of cauliflower in a food processor. I do this in small batches to ensure all the cauliflower gets riced.
- Next, saute the cauliflower with about 1/2 jar of sun dried tomatoes and olive oil. This will take about five minutes. Place this mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add the pepper mixture and then them roasted eggplant chickpea mixture. Add some Italian seasoning and salt to taste. I added a shake or two of red pepper flake too. I like things spicy.
You can serve this warm or chilled. I prefer it warm. Enjoy!
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.