We made it though the remnants of Matthew virtually unscathed – just a few tree limbs down while others had entire trees downed or worse. So, we give thanks today by making a very Autumn recipe – Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup.
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and chopped into pieces
- 16 ounces of dry red lentils rinsed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves of garlic diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 medium sized carrots chopped
- 1 carton vegetable broth (32 FL. OZ.)
- 2-4 cups of water (add two and then 2 more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning
- 3 shakes of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep all ingredients as indicated above. Place in a slow cooker pot. Cook on low for 8 hours. Stir occasionally and add additional water if needed as directed above.
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.