I wanted to make something different today. As I went though my recipes, I came across a recipe from a coworker, Sofia. I worked with Sofia many years ago. She used to make Picadillo when she was missing home. This is her recipe remade vegan. It was already gluten-free.
For those of you that don’t know about picadillo here’s a little history: Picadillo is a traditional dish made in Spain and many Latin American countries. It contains ground beef, tomatoes, other ingredients and spices which differ by region and I’m sure by family too. Sofia would say Picadillo was her comfort food.
The only thing I changed in this recipe was substituting Beyond Meat’s Beefy Crumbles for the ground beef. Nothing else has been adjusted. So without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Sofia’s Remade Picadillo
- 1 1/2 packages of Beyond Meat’s Beefy Crumbles
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- A pinch of ground cloves
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes drained
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat, add a splash of oil then heat the Crumbles about three minutes. Once cooked set a side.
- In another sauce pan, I did not have one so I used a pot, add another splash of oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. I added the onion first and when it looked halfway there I added the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste and herbs to the sauté and stir continually until the spices are incorporated into the tomato paste.
- Add the crumbles to the mix and stir until they are incorporated into the spice and tomato mix.
- Add the drained diced tomatoes and about half the drained juice.
- Add the potato, pepper and vinegar. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Finally, add the olives and raisins and cook until they are warmed.
- Sever over rice.
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.