Today I decided to give a old recipe a new taste. I’ve been making my own variation of I Breathe I’m Hungry’s Apple and Garbanzo Cake for quite sometime. Folks love this cake. Many of them are surprised to find out that the cake contains no flour. And, then, they can’t believe that garbanzo beans are the base for this super scrumptious cake.
So for today, I decided to create a summery version of this delicious autumnal flavored cake. This cake takes less than 15 minutes to get into the oven. It’s easy. It’s moist. It’s simply delicious.
- 19 oz. garbanzo beans (otherwise known as chick peas)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sugar of your choice (I used coconut sugar this time)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (make sure your vanilla is gluten-free, if you are making this recipe gluten-free)
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- 5 leaves of fresh sweet mint chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. I also pat them off with a paper towel.
- Place the garbanzo beans in a food processor and blend until they are smooth. This is key to keeping the main ingredient a secret. It usually takes between 3-5 minutes. The blended beans mixture will be thick.
- Next add all they other ingredients EXCEPT for the blueberries and the mint.
- Mix with a hand mixer until all ingredients are well combined. The mixture will be thin and runny. Don’t worry about this, I promise all will be well.
- Now, add the blue berries and the mint.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the cake bounces back to your touch and the tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Cut and serve.
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.