Over the holidays I tried my hand at making Mom’s iced cookies gluten-free. I was happily surprised that it only took one try to get them right. As you know, if you’ve ever tried to make a recipe gluten-free, this is not always the case.
I really think my “instant” success had a lot do with my flour choice. I used, for the first time, Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
Here’s the recipe. I hope you enjoy it these versatile cookies as much as I do.
Mom’s Iced Cookies
Ingredients For Cookies:
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of gluten-free baking flour
- 2 teaspoons of extract of your choice (almond, anise, orange or vanilla)
- 2 teaspoons of gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum
- 8 teaspoons of sugar
- 8 teaspoons butter (I used Earth Balance, Soy Free)
- Non-dairy milk (if needed)
Direction for Cookies:
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs and extract
- Finally add the baking powder and flour
- Mix everything until it comes together and forms a sticky dough like batter
- At this point you will know if you need to add the milk. If you need it, add it in a teaspoon at a time.
- Refrigerate the dough/batter for about an hour. Doing this makes it easier to work with.
- Once out of the fridge, make small small round balls (like making meat balls).
- Place on greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at a pre-heated 350 degree oven
- The cookie will be browned on the bottom. and feel firm to the touch when finished.
This recipe yields approximately 3 dozen cookies.
Ingredients for Icing:
- 3 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of extract of your choice (I used vanilla for the icing and almond for the cookie)
Directions for Icing:
- Allow cookies to cool before icing
- Combine the sugar, water and extract
- Mix until smooth
- Frost the top of each cookie
- Then sprinkle with non-pareils
- Let cookies dry before storing an an air tight container
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.