Happy Mother’s Day to all mom’s out there…mom’s of human children, mom’s of winged children, mom’s of furry children, mom’s of leathery skinned children…I think you get where I’m going. I’m celebrating the day by baking Mom’s Apple Cake and then sitting on our front patio under our tree with all my favorites. Hope you are enjoying the day doing something you love.
Here’s the Mom’s recipe remade gluten-free.
- Cut four apples into chunks reference the image for size — not too large, but not to small so they bake away
- Coat cut apples with 2 teaspoons of sugar (I use Florida Crystals) and about three tablespoons of cinnamon — it’s easier to do this step with your hands so get in there and have fun!
- 3 cups of Gluten-Free flour (I used Pillsbury Gluten-Free this time)
- 2 cups of sugar (again, I used the Florida crystals)
- 3 teaspoon of baking powder (make sure it’s gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 cup of water
- Pre-heat over to 350.
- Mix all ingredients together. I used a stand mixer, but a hand mixer will work. Do not mix by hand.
- Mix until well-blended. About five minutes.
- The batter will be thick. A little ticker than pancake batter.
- Fold in the apple mixture
- Cook for about one hour and 10 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Please make sure that all of your ingredients are gluten free. Just because ingredients are listed does not insinuate that they are gluten free. Please make sure you choose the appropriate ingredients for your audience of tasters. Kroger has a wonderful list on their website (71 pages) of all the gluten free items in their stores.